The Official Soccer Site
for Officials, Referees, Players, and Fans
Laws of the Game
The Technical Area
The technical area
described in Law 3,
Board Decision no. 2,
relates particularly to
matches played in
stadia with a
area for technical staff
and substitutes as
Technical areas may vary between stadia, for example in size or
location, and the following notes are issued for general guidance.
- The technical area extends 1 m (1 yd) on either side of the
designated seated area and extends forward up to a distance of 1
m (1 yd) from the touch line.
- It is recommended that markings are used to define this area.
- The number of persons permitted to occupy the technical area is
defined by the competition rules.
- The occupants of the technical area are identified before the
beginning of the match in accordance with the competition rules.
- Only one person at a time is authorised to convey tactical
instructions and he must return to his position after
giving these instructions.
- The coach and other officials must remain within the confines of
the technical area except in special circumstances, for example, a
physiotherapist or doctor entering the field of play, with the
referee's permission, to assess an injured player.
- The coach and other occupants of the technical area must behave
in a responsible manner.