The Fredericton City Old Boys Soccer Club, a.k.a. “Old Boys”, has been on the soccer scene in Fredericton for over 25 years.
The Old Boys club was formed in 1988 by Rick Patterson, "The Orginial Old Boy!" Our goal has always been to provide a venue for players 35 years of age and older to play soccer and to socialize. In that regards we have been very successful. For about ten years our Club had one team and that team played in the Fredericton Senior Soccer League (FSSL). Because of the numbers of players wanting to join the Club we expanded to two teams and then to four. It was at this point, in 2004, that the Masters league was started, a league of our own, and we dropped out of the FSSL. Since then our membership has increased and we expanded to six teams. In 2013 we renamed our league to the Masters Soccer League (MSL). We operate the MSL by creating six new teams each year through a draft process from our club membership.
The purpose of this draft is two fold:
(1) to create balanced teams as we have a wide range of skills and soccer knowledge among our membership
(2) to give Club members an opportunity to meet and get to know each other.
Managers for each team are selected by the executive in the early spring from a list of volunteers from within the Club.
The Old Boys currently have 250+ members and continues to grow each year. There are 140+ actively playing members from more than 22 nationalities. The original 1988 mission still holds true today as we “provide a venue for players who are 35 years of age or older to continue to play the beautiful game".
The Old Boys Motto is: “The Older We Get, The Better We Were!”
In the 2015 season, the MSL had six teams and played from May to October at three fields: UNB BMO, Scotiabank Park South and Scotiabank Park North. In 2016 the MSL expanded to two divisions, DIV1 and DIV2. DIV1 and DIV2 were renamed in 2017. DIV1 retained the MSL name and DIV2 was renamed to CSL.
The Old Boys are sponsored by several key Fredericton businesses with others looking to add their support of the club as we continue to grow. Current sponsors are: Picaroons Traditional Ales, Fredericton KIA, Assante Wealth Management, Cedar Valley Investments, Windsor Court Retirement Residence, The Lunar Rogue Pub, Fredericton Inn and Pizza Hut on Smythe
Besides running the summer MSL league the Old Boys:
(1) Participate in Masters Tournaments
(2) Play indoor soccer at the Nashwaaksis Field House and UNB BMO Dome from November to April
(3) Organize monthly in-club tournaments
(4) Market a line of “Old Boys’” merchandise
(5) Maintain the website www.oldboys.ca
(6) Affiliate themselves with the FDSA & Soccer NB
The Old Boys won the Annual Michael Dunn Masters Provincial Championship in 2013 and went on to represent New Brunswick at the Eastern Regional Masters in Quebec City.
Why join the Old Boys?
• We'll help you get and stay in shape and promote an active lifestyle
• You'll be part of a large local soccer network
• You'll meet new friends
• You can show your kids you still have it
• You'll have fun not only playing but talking about the beautiful game
• And because of our international membership we ALWAYS win the World Cup!!